What Professional Photographers create on their day off.

Introduction

Photographers do not turn off. They do not retire or shut down. They create. Endlessly and without rest. Photojournalists are no exception. They spend much of their days illuminating other peoples lives and stories. This journal is to serve as a chronicle of what working photojournalists create on their own days off ...their sixth day.
.................................................................................

Sunday, January 28, 2007

GEOMETRY

Audrey C. Tiernan


Mathematics was never my favorite subject in school, frankly I wasn’t very good in it. But I liked geometry and I have always found myself trying to incorporate shapes and angles into my photographs. I don't know exactly why, except that I like to try to add dimension to my two dimensional canvas. I was in lower Manhattan one day with my nephew and we walked through an old building that had once housed the first children's courthouse in the country. Built in 1902 in the Classical Revival style it was a fascinating structure. When I looked up I was struck by all the lines and angles in the ceiling and the juxtaposition of the sphere shaped light fixture. I just had to take this picture. As a child I recall that I always had trouble coloring within the lines of my coloring book. Maybe that is why I am fascinated by them in photographs. I don't see lines as boundaries that impose limits, rather I seem them as infinite with countless possibilities. I like to see where the lines take me and where my camera takes me too. So far, there have been lots of turns in the road and it has been an amazing journey!

Aud

3 comments:

Blissville said...

You should write more. Nice, really nice, Audrey. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Geometry? What do I know? I flunked arithmetick. But this photograph is so good! You should take more photos like this ...you won't have to ask any subjects for their names since there are no subjects, saving you from expending hours of energy listening to them spell their names which are usually too long and funny and don't have enough vowels. And you won't feel that early morning blend of embarrassment and angst when you flip through your newspaper and the products of your hours of work are not there...not even on the comics page in the kid's section, not even on the newspaper's freakin website. But instead of going through all that pain, you can put this beautiful photo on this nifty blog! Kudos!

Anonymous said...

like how the light in the center could be a strobe, kinda double entendre, self portrait