What Professional Photographers create on their day off.

Introduction

Photographers do not turn off. They do not retire or shut down. They create. Endlessly and without rest. Photojournalists are no exception. They spend much of their days illuminating other peoples lives and stories. This journal is to serve as a chronicle of what working photojournalists create on their own days off ...their sixth day.
.................................................................................

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Beginnings

Thomas A. Ferrara


I'm starting this endeavor with an old photograph. Although I made this image seven years ago, it still feels like a beginning to me. It was shot from the stern of the Schooner Roseway, A one hundred and twelve foot, wooden, sailing vessel at anchor in Penobscot Bay, off the coast of Maine. The most beautiful place on earth. The reason why this image feels like a beginning to me is entirely personal. For one week in the early autumn of 2000, my Father and I set sail on board this ship. It was like no other experience I had ever encountered. And it turned out to be the very first of many fantastic journeys I have undertaken with my father in my adult life.
-Fair Winds,
Tom

4 comments:

Ken Spencer said...

Thomas:

Write More! Nice photo, and good story, but I am left wantiing to know MORE - about this day, and about some of the other journeys with your dad. Are blogs supposed to be this short?

The Sixth Day Photogs said...

We really want to see the photo where your dad pushed you overboard- nice shot.

The Sixth Day Photogs said...

It's good to see a man will let his feminine side come out and not be afraid to suffer the slings and arrows about his lack of testostorone.- Yarwood

Dick Kraus said...

Don't listen to Yarwood. Even though his father was a sea captain, he got queezy every time we went fishing on boat, even before we left Northport Harbor.