What Professional Photographers create on their day off.

Introduction

Photographers do not turn off. They do not retire or shut down. They create. Endlessly and without rest. Photojournalists are no exception. They spend much of their days illuminating other peoples lives and stories. This journal is to serve as a chronicle of what working photojournalists create on their own days off ...their sixth day.
.................................................................................

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Healing Springs

Julia Gaines
In the last two years, my research of my family roots has reaped many discoveries, two of which are included in this photograph taken in October of 2006: Kelley, a cousin I didn't know I had, and Healing Springs near Blackville, South Carolina, a place I'd never heard of. The springs, the story goes, were bought from the Edisto Indians in the 1750's by our ancestor Nathaniel Walker, paid with an unknown quantity of maize. The Indians, who may have only understood that they were allowing Walker to use the springs, believed the waters had the power to heal and the earth and its treasures could not be owned by man. The Edistos eventually disappeared from the area and the springs changed ownership many times until Lute Boylston in 1944, agreeing that the springs should be available to all, "deeded the property to God." When I visited this spot, people with carloads of plastic bottles were constantly driving into the small, parklike area. They'd fill their bottles from the free-flowing pipes installed there, often saying a prayer as they did so. My cousin Kelley filled her own water bottle and then cooled off under one of the pipes.

2 comments:

Kare said...

I really like your photo of your cousin & also the caption. I also liked what you told me about the springs later - that someone tried to bottle & sell the water and the springs dried up for awhile. A fascinating piece of your family history! -Karen

The Sixth Day Photogs said...

Julia: I really love the richness of your comments - all the background and history of the place - I love when I learn more about the photograph from this kind of information. Nice! - ken spencer