What Professional Photographers create on their day off.

Introduction

Photographers do not turn off. They do not retire or shut down. They create. Endlessly and without rest. Photojournalists are no exception. They spend much of their days illuminating other peoples lives and stories. This journal is to serve as a chronicle of what working photojournalists create on their own days off ...their sixth day.
.................................................................................

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Beleive

Julia Gaines
I saw this sign as I was driving on Route 4 westward toward Aiken, South Carolina where my great great great grandparents lived in the early 1800's, his folks from Ireland and hers from Wales--families that came to America for religious freedom. I saw religious signs everywhere as I drove through the state. In the middle of a cotton field, huge letters spelled out "Jesus Country." I wish I'd stopped to photograph that one, but it was along a busy highway with no place to pull over. For this "Beleive" sign, I was able to stop, wondering who had gone to the trouble of making the sign and posting it there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Julia, I like this shot a lot, reminds me of a place up in CT. "Holyland USA", The remnants of an old religious themed amusement park that was popular back in the 60's - 70-'s now just crumbling in disrepair. Making your way through it you can see the remains of a miniture city of Jerusalem, catacombs, and signs like yours everywhere. one of the landmarks still standing is a giant steel and electrical cross. The story behind the whole park is interesting, google it if you get a chance. nice shot. - Ferrara

Anonymous said...

hello ms. julia....ilove the irony as well since the last time i checked 'BELIEVE' was spelled with an i before e. this might be the entire reason for the shot, but i couldn't pick up on any sarcasm in your post.