What Professional Photographers create on their day off.

Introduction

Photographers do not turn off. They do not retire or shut down. They create. Endlessly and without rest. Photojournalists are no exception. They spend much of their days illuminating other peoples lives and stories. This journal is to serve as a chronicle of what working photojournalists create on their own days off ...their sixth day.
.................................................................................

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Right Under My Nose

Ken Spencer


A friend loaned me a new high-end camera for the amateur market, and said “Give it a try, see how you like it, and take some nice landscape photographs with it.” For me, most of my best landscape photographs follow the time-honored style of foreground, middle ground, background - layers of an image that make a landscape more complex and more interesting for the eye. So I went down to Hempstead Harbor which has been frozen for a week or so, and concentrated on the blocks of ice which had piled up on the rocks as the temperatures fell. It was below freezing and windy, and after about 45 minutes I felt I was about done. Then suddenly I looked down at my feet, and there were all kinds of interesting patterns in the ice itself, formed when the tide rose and fell, and the water apparently melted and froze repeatedly. I switched the lens to macro mode, and spent another 20 minutes looking for details in the ice. I cannot imagine how the bubbles froze into this piece of ice, but I accepted nature’s gift and made this photograph. And I reminded myself to look for details in the future. (If you click on this photoraph, by the way, you will get a higher resolution version that shows more detail)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ken, Beautiful shot man!. I love the macro stuff.
But I tell you what! no body ain't never called me no interlektual before, no how ! :-)