What Professional Photographers create on their day off.

Introduction

Photographers do not turn off. They do not retire or shut down. They create. Endlessly and without rest. Photojournalists are no exception. They spend much of their days illuminating other peoples lives and stories. This journal is to serve as a chronicle of what working photojournalists create on their own days off ...their sixth day.
.................................................................................

Monday, February 12, 2007

FLIRTING

Audrey C. Tiernan
Every day, this little feral black cat that I have named Cashew comes to flirt with my indoor cat Slugger. For weeks I tried to ignore her dances on the window sill, her piercing yellow eyes that are still peering into my kitchen late at night. But her persistence and personality have won me over. She won’t let me touch her yet, although each morning when I take her breakfast she flirts with me, letting me get just a little bit closer. Slugger, well, he acts mighty territorially. He bats at the window and sometimes even hisses. After a few minutes, he is completely put out and turns his back on her. But sometimes, real early in the morning, before the kitchen light is on I see him sitting gazing out the window looking for Cashew. As I watched this all play out in front of me one day, I thought about flirting. My camera flirts with situations every day. It flirts with angles and the ever elusive light and shadow. I flirt with ideas--- the things I’d like to photograph and the places I hope to document. Flirting, it’s everywhere. It’s instinctive.

2 comments:

Kare said...

Love this photo - it's so cute & the title fits perfectly ! Keep feeding the kitty & you'll get close real soon !

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL. I LOVE it, we have to discuss how I get a print. If nothing else, Aud, whenever the day comes around this photo is the retirement gift I want from you.